Friday, June 30, 2017

Basement Door frosting

Do you ever feel like just wearing whatever you feel like in your house, even if it's nothing at all? Want to do that without having to run like the Flash past windows so neighbors or pedestrians don't see you? Want to do all that but still let light in without putting curtains up on door windows?

I hate thinking that people are looking into my house at night.  It's dark outside so I can't see out but you can bet if someone is looking they can see me if my lights are on! And when you live in a city, the neighbors windows look into yours easily. I don't like it, which is a little hypocritical of me because I like glancing into people's windows when I'm driving at night to see how they decorate their houses.  Don't judge me, you know you do it too ;).

Most of my windows do have curtains on them but there's one window I always feel paranoid I'm going to see someone standing there looking in at me.  It's my back door that goes out to the fenced in back yard.  It's right at the top of the stairs to the basement that I just fixed up in a post a few weeks ago. Here's a little reminder of the pretty fake wood peel and stick tiles.
 
See that door on the right? That goes out to the mud room and then my back yard, but you can see right into the back yard. That's the one I was hesitant to walk by at night which wasn't good because the master bedroom is in the basement (I know it's kind of weird, but there's so much more room down there! If you want a spacious master, you put it where there's enough room).


I wanted to get some privacy but I didn't want to add a curtain to the door because I thought that'd look way too 50's kitchen and I have brand new flooring on my stairs! Plus the stairway is dark enough I didn't want to darken it further with fabric.  So naturally I hit Pinterest:
Contact paper cutouts create a "frosted" glass pattern on a door -- could use this on the shower door perhaps?very light frosting on glass front doors - Google Search

Obviously the first inspiration pin is more attainable for the DIYer so I set out to find a stencil and where did I go? You guessed it, Hobby Lobby.  I found this stencil there and it was pretty decently priced plus I can use it again! I also got the cans of frost there too!
So the process began of taping the stencil and covering the rest of the window with saran wrap to keep the "frosting" off the places I didn't want it to be.
Then spray, let dry, move stencil and saran wrap, and repeat until finished.

 

Now I feel much more at ease going up and down the stairs at night.  If there is someone back there they won't be able to see clearly what's going on inside but I can still peek out through the sides.

Next time you think about curtains on a door, maybe consider frosting :) it's beautiful, lets the light in but also gives the privacy/safety needed.

What do you think? Are you a frosting or curtain person?

No comments:

Post a Comment