Friday, January 25, 2019

Finally kept a New Year's resolution

Friends, I have finally, for once in my life, made a New Year's resolution I actually stuck to!  Flash back to a year ago, I had just finished one of the most challenging years of my life.  So what do you do after you survived one of the worst things you thought could ever happen?

Before I say what my resolution for 2018 was, let me fill you in on a little bit of what I'm talking about.  If you have read my blog from the beginning, you probably noticed some wedding posts so you're clearly thinking, "ok this chick was married once upon a time" and you'd be right.  I was married to my high school sweetheart.  So you read on as I've posted and gradually I don't mention him so much any more and you might wonder, "ok what's going on, no big announcement was made so did something happen?"  I won't bore you with the dirty details but we aren't together anymore.  Long story short, we were destined to go in different directions with our lives.  The split happened suddenly at the beginning of 2017 and I didn't see it coming. 

I learned so much about myself in 2017.  I admittedly went through a mourning period, but the way I see it there are two options when something like this happens to you.  You can either sit around and feel sorry for yourself, or you can pick up the shattered pieces, throw them back together and make the best of what you have left.  I didn't want to be mopey, I wanted to move on and see what was next for my life.  I learned I'm stronger than I thought, I have a great support system who kept me going (thank you all!), and if I thought I was a positive person before this...I'm so much more positive than I ever imagined I could be.

Flash forward to the version of me that began 2018 and you've got someone who came to terms with "everything happens for a reason."  That positive person knew that there's something great waiting out there and was going to do everything possible to be happy and successful in 2018.  What resolution did I make then?

I'm going to make this year my b*tch!

As you know from my last post, I paid off quite a bit of debt, I cruised through each day with a smile on my face, my friends and family commented frequently that I actually looked happy as opposed to similar times in 2017. I got back out there and met some great new people and grew amazing friendships that were already pre-existing, but were enhanced by the experience of what I went through.

In having this outlook of "it was great, and then it was over, I'll look back on it fondly, remember the good, learn from the bad, and look forward to the great things to come" I ended 2018 with a year I'm proud of! I had so much fun along the way and I know 2019 can be even better!  I go into the new year looking forward to all the people I'm going to meet, the debt I'm going to pay off, the home I'm going to build for myself, and the friendships that will just get better and better each year.  Oh and hopefully I lose a bunch of weight, get rock hard abs, and win the lottery......What? A girl can dream right? :) 

What's your New Year's resolution? I'd love to hear it and encourage you along the way! If anyone has Chris Evans' number, please send it my way to help with my resolution this year ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment